Thursday, September 23, 2010

Things I am Thankful For

I think this should be at least a monthly exercise for me. I forgot how blessed I truly am in the midst of this crazy life going on around me. Lately I have known so many people that are experiencing pain deeper than I can imagine. Mothers that will never be able to take thier babies home and hold them in thier arms, young people battling serious health issues, people that have sick parents and grandparents, just to name a few.
I have the tendency to isolate myself and think "I am so tired, I don't feel good, my back hurts, I'm lonely..." the list could go on and on. I realize that this is just spiritual warfare and that I am purposefully being distracted from those around me, so that I won't recognize thier needs and hopes and wants and desires, so that I won't want to help or to understand.

So today here are the things that I am thankful for:
1. My beautiful, loving, crazy, creative and energetic daughter
2. My wonderful, supportive and helpful husband
3. A house with a roof to cover my head and keep me safe
4. Renters for our house in Kansas
5. The money, even though it is tight, for me to stay home with my daughter right now if I can't find a job
6. The healthy, very wiggly baby growing inside of me
7. A fabulous supportive family that takes care of each other even living miles apart
8. Friends all over the country that I can pick up a conversation with after months or even years and it feels
    like we never had time apart
9. Friends that are more like family that go above and beyond to help us out
10. Two lovable dogs
11. Cool weather
12. Brilliantly changing leaves
13. Apple picking
14. New friends
15. Free things for Ella and me to do during the day
16. A much more flexible schedule for Jimmie and because of that, more time spent together as a family
17. My daughter's ability to fit in most situations easily
18. Ella's joy and excitement about almost everything
19. A healthy husband who can ride his bike to work
20. A surprise of VERY good insurance

I know that this is a very short list that is part of so many things that I have to be thankful for. I just need to remember these things sometimes. I need to pull myself away from myself long enough to notice the needs around me. I need to turn to the One who gave me all of these things, especially when I am feeling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment